The parish of Shincliffe St. Mary the Virgin was formed out of Durham St. Oswald parish in October 1826. This new package, transcribed from the Bishop’s Transcript, contains:
- 602 baptisms covering 1826-47
- 230 burials covering 1827 – 1846. Occasionally the parents of a deceased child are named.
- 85 marriages covering mid-1837 – 1846. These are full-detail marriages, with fathers, occupations, and witnesses all included.
- We also added the witnesses to our 13 existing marriages at Shincliffe from 1813 to mid-1837.
Residences reported in these records include Bank Top, Bowburn, Cassop Moor, Coxhoe, Crow Trees, Quarrington, New Shincliffe, Old Durham, Sherburn House, Shincliffe, Shincliffe Grange & Mill.