2,369 baptisms at Lamesley St. Andrew from March 1765 to March 1798.
Lamesley, originally a chapelry of Chester-le-Street parish, covered the neighborhoods of Bainesley Lane, Birkhead or Birch Heads, Birtley, Boggle or Bogg Hole, Chowdean, Coal Flat, Cow Close, Cox Close, Darwent Crook, Dumper Mill, Dunkirk, Eighton Banks (called Eighteen Banks in many of these baptisms), Fugar House, Gateshead Fell, Harlow Green, Hedley, Kibblesworth, Lamesley, Long Acres, Loosing Hill, Lowsey Law, Moor Mills, Mount, Newcastle, North End, Old Engine, Penny Fine, Ravensworth, Riding Gate, Sheddon Law, Southrines Shop, Street Gate, Tinker Row, Urpeth, and Wasting or Weston Row.
Mothers were not listed until the end of July 1789. A few baptisms include birth dates. Samples:
- 27 May 1765 Ann Spooner, of Cow Close, daughter of the Revd. Thomas Spooner
- 13 Sep 1789 William Fawdon, of Ravensworth, son of George Fawdon & Catharine
- 18 Feb 1798 James Tones, born 1-Jan 1798, 2nd child of James Tones (native of this chapelry) by his wife Jane formerly Chisholm
About half of these were transcribed from the Bishop’s Transcript with some checking against the parish register, and the other half (many years were missing from the BT) were transcribed from the parish register. Because of the mix of sources, each record has a note saying whether it came from the BT or the PR.
Lamesley is not indexed by the IGI so these records have not been widely available until now.