780 baptisms at Houghton-le-Spring St. Michael & All Angels, covering 1778-1785, from the Bishop’s Transcript.
Abodes mentioned include Bunker’s Hill, Collier Row, Dubmire Moor, East Herrington, East Rainton, Eppleton, Hetton, High Dubmire, High Pit Houses, Houghton, Leamside Lane, Low Dubmire, Middle Herrington, Moorsley, Morton Acres, Morton Fence, Morton Hill, Newbottle, Philadelphia, Rainton (Bridge, Engine, Mill, Pit Houses, Stables, and Turnpike!), Sedgeletch, Stots Pasture, The Knott, Torrish Hill, West Herrington, West Rainton, and Wilson’s Row.
In this period, the father’s occupation was not usually listed, unless he was a minister, teacher, soldier, gentleman, or some other occupation that merited special notice by the clerk. Some samples:
- 14 Dec 1778 Elizabeth Maughan, of West Herrington, daughter of Mr. John Maughan & Cecilia (his wife)
- 16 Jun 1782 Mary Cowper, of Houghton, daughter of the Reverend William Cowper (M.A., Master of the Kepier School in Houghton) & Ann (his wife)
- 14 Mar 1782 William Samuel Story, of Newbottle, son of Anthony Story (Esquire) & Mary (his wife)
- 27 Mar 1785 Thomas Stove, of Rainton Pit Houses, son of Anthony Stove & Jane
- 17 Jul 1785 Jeremiah Barras Taylor, of West Rainton, son of Isabella Taylor