1,179 baptisms at South Hylton St. Mary from the opening of this chapelry in March 1821 to the end of 1847. South Hylton was created as a chapelry in the parish of Bishopwearmouth St. Michael & All Angels in March 1821 and became its own parish in 1854. It served the residents of Claxheugh, Grindon, High Barnes, Hylton, Monkwearmouth, North Hylton, Offerton Haugh, South Hylton, Southwick, and Sunderland. A ford and ferry crossing of the Wear since at least the 1400s, the village of South Hylton was previously known as Ford, Low Ford, and Hylton Ferry, and it was home to many industries, including a paper mill, several potteries, sawmills, shipyards, forges, and foundries.
Wonderfully, some mother’s maiden surnames are shown in 1829, all mother’s maiden surnames are shown in 1832, and nearly all mother’s maiden surnames are shown from 1835 to 1847. South Hylton is not indexed by the IGI so should provide some useful discoveries for those researching Sunderland-area ancestry. Some examples:
- 4 Mar 1821 Joseph William Ryles, of Hylton, born 24-Feb 1821, son of Aaron Ryles (potter) & Margaret
- 7 Jun 1830 Charles Henry Masterman, of South Hylton, son of John Masterman (sailmaker) & Mary
- 30 Dec 1832 Benjamin Wilde, of South Hylton, born 8-Oct 1832, son of John Wilde (potter) & Anne Outersides
- 6 Feb 1839 Thomas Miller, of Grindon Mill, born 4-Jan 1839, son of William Miller (miller) & Elizabeth Grace Ross
- 19 Feb 1843 John George Chambers, of South Hylton, born 30-Jan 1843, son of George Chambers (foreman at Mr. Dawson’s Pottery) & Elizabeth Maddison
- 22 Aug 1847 John Charlton Head, of Paper Mill, born 9-Mar 1847, son of John Head (papermaker) & Elizabeth Ann Carr