917 baptisms and 951 burials at Durham St. Margaret’s covering 1798-1812, from the Bishop’s Transcript with some cross-checking against the parish register. Residences mentioned besides “this chapelry” include the College, Crossgate, Framwellgate, St. Mary le Bow, St. Nicholas, and White Smocks.
There are many fine examples of the extraordinarily detailed records of this period:
- baptized 18 Mar 1798 Sarah Wennington, born 19 Aug 1797, 4th daughter of Thomas Wennington (papermaker, native of Kirby Hill, Yorkshire) by his wife Isabella late Bewick (native of Kirby Hill, Yorkshire)
- baptized 11 Oct 1812 William Savage, born 4 Aug 1798, 2nd son of Robert Savage (labourer, native of Orton, Westmorland) by his wife Jane late Foster (native of Northumberland)
- buried 12 Jan 1798 John Ayre, of this Chapelry, age: 7 months, died 11 Jan 1798, son of William Ayre (cordwainer) by his wife Elizabeth late Ladderdale
- buried 25 Oct 1800 Robert Fewster, of this Chapelry, age: 49, died 21 Oct 1800, weaver, smothered at Messrs Salvins stone quarry
- buried 19 Apr 1812 Mary Sadler, age: 66, died 14 Apr 1812, wife of John Sadler (late a comedian)
Here is an interesting clerical error – in this burial, apparently the clerk mis-heard the name Dempster as “Gamester” – I only noticed it after processing some baptisms listing the same mother and other details with the surname Dempster:
- 29 Nov 1798 Catharine Gamester, of this Chapelry, age: 6 weeks, died 28 Nov 1798, daughter of William Gamester (cartwright) by his wife Susan late Elliott
These baptisms helped uncover the story:
- 13 Apr 1800 Ann Dempster, born 12 Feb 1800, 2nd daughter of William Dempster (joiner, native of Hexham, Northumberland) by his wife Susan Elliott (native of Hexham, Northumberland)
- 2 May 1802 Margaret Dempster, born 27 Feb 1802, daughter of William Dempster (cartwright, native of Hexham) by his wife Susannah late Elliott (native of Durham)
and the tale was corroborated by the marriage of William Dempster to Susannah Elliott at Hexham in 1798. Genealogy is detective work !