2,025 baptisms at Witton-le-Wear St. Philip & St. James in Auckland district, covering 1798-1859. Many baptisms also have the child’s birthdate, even after 1812 when it was no longer required. A few pre-1812 baptisms name the mother’s father & his abode. Some samples:
- 7 Oct 1798 Nicholas Littlefair, born 9 Aug, 2nd son of John Littlefair (farmer, native of Hamsterley parish) by his wife Ann Vasey (daughter of Nicholas Vasey of this parish)
- 18 Dec 1811 Francis Snaith, born 13-Aug, 5th son of Cuthbert Snaith (farmer, native of Witton-le-Wear) by his wife Dorothy late Sidgewick (native of St.Helen’s, Auckland)
- 28 Feb 1813 Elizabeth Snaith, of Witton, child of Cuthbert Snaith (farmer) & Dorothy
- 16 Oct 1828 George Newby Wardell, of Ryton, child of Henry Wardell (clerk) & Mary
- 28 Aug 1838 Albert Nevins Flintoff, of Witton le Wear, born 30-Mar 1832, child of John Flintoff (esquire) & Catherine
- 29 Nov 1859 Robert Powton, of Thistleflat, born 23-Jul, child of Robert Powton (pitman) & Elizabeth
Since we were in the register checking things, we also took the opportunity to add the witnesses to the existing marriages in 1813-37, giving you several hundred new witnesses to search in.
Remember, Witton-le-Wear is not indexed by the IGI, so we expect to hear about some exciting new discoveries in these seldom-seen records!