980 baptisms at Jarrow St. Paul, including many at the chapelry of Heworth, spanning 1798-1804. These baptisms are entered in the Jarrow register, with each one marked as to whether the baptism actually happened at Jarrow (St. Paul) or Heworth (St. Mary). Residences mentioned besides Jarrow (and Jarrow Colliery, Grange, Quay, Red House, and Wood) include Bill Quay, Blue Quarries, Carrs Hill, Fellgate, Felling, Felling Shore, Hebburn, Hebburn Colliery & Quay, Hedworth, Heworth & Heworth Shore, High Felling, Hollin or Holly Hill, Jingling Gate, Leam, Low Felling, Low Heworth, Monkton, Point House, Red Barns, Simonside, Snowdons Hole, South Shields, Square Houses, Stoney Gate, Sward Houses, Wardley, and Windy Nook.
This is the golden period for details, where most baptisms include the birthplaces of both parents and some include the name of the mother’s father. For example:
- 11 Feb 1798 John Conkelton, born 3 Dec 1797, 1st son of John Conkelton (enginewright, deceased, native of Houghton Le Spring) by his wife Margaret Straughan (native of this Parish), baptized at Jarrow
- 13 Oct 1799 William [Ord/Duffell], illegitimate son of William Ord (of Witton Gilbert) & Isabella Duffell (of this Chapelry), baptized at Heworth
- 19 Jul 1801 Edward Anderson, of Felling, born 10 Apr, 9th child of William Anderson (pitman, native of Bolam, Northumberland) by his wife Mary Tindale (daughter of John Tindale, pitman, native of Benwell, Northumberland), baptized at Heworth
- 4 Sep 1803 Hall Brown, of Hedworth, born 21 Jun, 2nd child of Hall Brown (husbandman, native of Lanchester) by his wife Elizabeth Gardner (native of Brancepeth), baptized at Jarrow
- 2 Dec 1804 Mary Liddell, of Low Felling, born 23 Oct, 8th child of William Liddell (colliery viewer, native of this Chapelry) by his wife Ann Cleugh (native of St Andrew, Newcastle), baptized at Heworth