540 baptisms and 251 burials at Washington Holy Trinity in Chester-le-Street district, spanning 1823-1827, from the Bishop’s Transcript. Residences mentioned include Barmston, Biddick Burn, Botany Bay, F Pit, Great & Little Usworth, Lane Pit, Mount, New Washington, New York, North Biddick, Old Washington, Oxclose, Red Row, Sea Row, Usworth, Waggon Row, Washington, Washington Row, and Washington Staiths.
- 18 Jan 1823 Charlotte Elizabeth Shaw, of Usworth House, daughter of Robert (gentleman) & Jane Shaw
- 13 Dec 1824 Benjamin [Hartley/Menhim], of Usworth, illegitimate son of Peter Menhim (blacksmith – reputed father) & Anne Hartley (spinster)
- 8 Jun 1826 Dorothy Crofton Fatherly, of Washington, daughter of John (farmer) & Ann Fatherly, received into the congregation Sept 28th 1826
- 30 Sep 1827 James Rutherford, of Barmston, son of Archibald (stone mason) & Elizabeth Rutherford
- 14 May 1823 Thomas Craig, of Washington Old Stables, age: 25, by coroners inquest. Accidentally drowned and suffocated
- 10 Aug 1823 Joseph Davison, of Oxclose, age: 96
- 18 Nov 1826 Barbara Shaw, of Newcastle, formerly of Usworth Place, age: 86
Since we were in the register, we also updated the 159 existing marriages for 1813-1835 with witnesses, giving you an additional 323 names to search in. We will finish adding witnesses for 1836-37 next time we are at the record office.
The parish church at Washington was closed for rebuilding between June 1832 and Feb 1833, resulting in marriages like this one:
- 28 Oct 1832 Thomas Oswald (bachelor), of this parish married Elizabeth Hutchinson (spinster), of this parish, by banns in the Chapel of Usworth during the rebuilding of the church at Washington
Witnesses: Edward Sedgwick, William Pearson