7,487 burials at Gateshead East Cemetery, covering 1897-1900.
Besides many street addresses in Gateshead, residences mentioned include Bensham, Felling, Felling Gate, High Teams, Low Fell, Mount Pleasant, New Gateshead, Newcastle, Salt Meadows, Teams, and Tyne Main.
Because these are municipal cemetery records, not church burial records, they present many more genealogically useful details. 99% of these records give either an occupation, a parent or husband’s name, or information about how the person died. Some samples:
- 5 Jan 1897 Mary A. McGee, of Connelly’s Lodgings, Church Walk, age: 65, wife of Patrick McGee
- 17 Jul 1897 George Mather, of 47 Walton Street, age: 19, son of Ralph Mather
- 17 May 1899 Maria Lee, of 33 Coburg Street, age: 94, widow of Michael Lee
- 26 Dec 1900 Peter Quinn, of Oakwellgate, age: 70, hawker
- 3 Feb 1898 Richard Heel, of 16 Charles Street, age: 42, cattle drover, died at the Cattle Docks, Newcastle
- 26 May 1898 James Mather, of 17 Watson Street, age: 11, son of James Mather, drowned in a clay pond at Teams