79 burials at Monkwearmouth All Saints from the first burial in the register in May 1851 to the end of 1874. All Saints parish, comprising the townships of Monkwearmouth and Fulwell, was carved out of Monkwearmouth St. Peter in 1844 and the church of All Saints was built in 1849 to relieve the crowding at St. Peter’s church. In 1851, All Saints parish contained 3,509 people in 540 houses. Although no burial ground is visible today at All Saints, there must have been a small one, or people were buried in the church itself, as there was a Council Order to discontinue burials in All Saints church as of 13 September 1854 and in All Saints churchyard as of 1 May 1855, later extended to 1 Nov 1855. The All Saints register shows 10 burials before Mere Knolls cemetery opened at Fulwell in July 1856. After that, all burials at All Saints were actually at Mere Knolls and are duplicated in the Mere Knolls register, with very few exceptions.
If you have an ancestor buried at All Saints, it is often worthwhile to obtain both the church burial and the cemetery burial entry. For example, the Mere Knolls cemetery register often provides parents for deceased children, spouses for deceased women, and occupations for deceased men. On the other hand, the All Saints register provides the death date (which is not in the Mere Knolls register) for over half of these burials, so both entries may provide useful information.
- 7 Jun 1853 Eustace Dutton Kennicott, of Roker, age: 7 months, died 05 Jun
- 2 Sep 1871 Emma Ormandy Wake, of Ellen Place, Fulwell, age: 26, died 28 Aug