2,653 burials at Hartlepool Old Cemetery, also known as Borough Cemetery, Hart Warren, and Spion Kop, covering 1895-1900. Besides street addresses in Hartlepool, abodes mentioned include Middleton, Sands, Stranton, Sunniside, Throston, and West Hartlepool.
Because these are municipal cemetery records rather than church burial records, they present many more genealogically useful details. Most of these burials provide the occupation of the deceased, or a parent or spouse’s name. Some give information about how or where the person died. Unlike some earlier records here, the clerk went back to writing full names instead of just initials for given names of spouses and parents.
Here are some sample burials:
- 31 Aug 1895 Jesse Stokes, of 1 Cleveland Lane, age: 90, hawker
- 4 Aug 1896 Catherine Jacob, of 25 Albert Street, age: 18, daughter of John & Catherine Jacob
- 21 Mar 1897 Frank Parker, of [blank abode], age: 62, ballast crane clerk, missing since January 22, found drowned
- 15 Jun 1897 Ann Coward, of 4 Blandford Street, age: 79, wife of Richard Coward, body brought from Throston parish
- 14 Feb 1900 Joseph Ellison Sellars, of 3 St Helen’s Place, age: 76, clay pipe maker
- 5 Dec 1900 Ann Kane, of [blank abode], age: 101, spinster, died at the Union Workhouse, body brought from Throston parish