At Gateshead St. James, whose parish was carved out of Gateshead St. Mary in 1865:
- 4,817 baptisms from the start of the register in July 1865 to the end of 1890
- 513 marriages from the start of the register in August 1865 to the end of 1880
The marriages are fully-detailed civil-registration-era marriages, with ages, fathers, occupations, and witnesses. We like the groom’s father’s occupation in this one:
- 7 Feb 1875 Robert Burbage (widower, engineer), age 31, of Monk Street, son of Robert Burbage (pyrotechnist), married Louisa Field (spinster), age 26, of Tent Street, daughter of William Field (labourer)
Witnesses: Herbert Lewis Bridger, Margaret Bridger
and note the value (to us genealogists) of a 2nd or 3rd marriage later in life – if this groom first married before 1837, his first marriage would not have included the name of his father, but because he married again after the advent of civil registration, we get his father’s name and occupation:
- 9 Mar 1872 George Durham (widower, collier), age 58, of Old Pit, son of Henry Durham (collier), married Mary Anne Fawcus [Falcus] (spinster), age 36, of Park Lane, daughter of Timothy Fawcus [Falcus] (glass cutter)
Witnesses: James Thompson, Elizabeth Fawcus
Most of the baptisms show the child’s birth date, including some baptisms performed long after the child’s birth.
- 24 Sep 1868 Lucy Clifford Batey, of Union Lane, born 12-Sep 1847, child of James (builder) & Lucy Batey
- 6 Oct 1875 Mary Ann (Weatherburn) Bamborough, of 57 Park Lane, born 4-May 1841, child of Henry (mill wright) & Ann Bamborough, adult
[Note: Mary Ann Bamborough is now married to Joseph Weatherburn; four of her children were baptized here the same day.]
- 17 Apr 1886 Eden Morrison, of London, born 11-Jul 1854, child of David (shipwright) & Martha Morrison, husbands name Curry, 58 Engine Terrace, brass finisher
[Note: this is apparently the baptism of a married adult, Eden Curry formerly Morrison.]
Most of the abodes are street addresses in Gateshead. Also mentioned as abodes are Allhusen’s Village, Backfield Farm or House, Deptford House, Felling, Felling Gate, Ford House, Friar’s Goose, Hawk’s Cottages and Works, Hebburn, Mount Greenwich, Mount Pleasant, New Gateshead, Newcastle, North Shields, Old Engine, Old Fold, Old Pit, Park House, Penman’s Depot, Quarry Field, Salt Meadows, Shear Legs, South Shore, Tyne Main, and Windmill Hills.