Baptisms at three Methodist churches in Hartlepool and West Hartlepool:
- 2,345 baptisms at Brougham Street Primitive Methodist Church from 1834 to Sep 1897. This church was demolished in 1965.
- 398 baptisms at the Wesley Chapel covering 1855 to Feb 1874. This chapel was on Brunswick Street in West Hartlepool, dedicated on 28 May 1855. The congregation quickly outgrew the premises, and a new site was chosen in 1871, on the corner of Raby Rd. and Victoria Rd. The new church, which became known as the Big Wesley, was dedicated on 21 Jan 1873. It closed in 1973, but is still standing today.
- 397 baptisms covering Sep 1855 to Oct 1868 at the Wesley Reform Chapel in West Hartlepool, which opened on 8 June 1851 but no longer exists. The records for this church, at the Teesside Archives, call this location Cambridge Place, but one announcement of its opening says it was on Church Street and that another Reform chapel had also opened in Hartlepool in 1851, but the address is not given. An 1857 map shows a Reform chapel on the corner of Lynn & John streets, which is just a few buildings off of Church street, and another Reform chapel at the opposite end of Lynn Street where it meets Stranton Lane. We think these records come from the chapel at the corner of Lynn & John streets, but we’re still trying to figure out why it is called Cambridge Place – any insight you have would be appreciated!
Many of these baptisms include the child’s birth date. Some of the baptisms at Brougham Street between 1834 and 1853 include the mother’s maiden surname. The Brougham Street baptisms state the father’s occupation; the other two churches do not. Here are some samples:
- Brougham Street PM: 3 Sep 1834 Jane Hodgson, of Hartlepool, child of Joseph Hodgson (fish hook maker) & Jane Whitfield
- Brougham Street PM: 18 Aug 1852 Elizabeth Pounder, of Chapel Street, Hartlepool, born 20 Jul 1850, child of Robert Pounder (fisherman) & Mary Horsley
- Brougham Street PM: 17 Jun 1897 John Cecil Robinson, of 5 Hart Rd., born 27 May 1897, child of John (insurance agent) & Violette Robinson
- Wesley Chapel: 13 Oct 1856 Emma Elizabeth Taylor, of Hartlepool, child of Samuel & Martha Taylor, aged 4 weeks
- Wesley Reform Chapel: 17 Jan 1869 Edward Lingard, of Seaton Carew, born 25 Oct 1868, child of Samuel & Mary Lingard