3,146 baptisms performed on the Shotley Bridge Primitive Methodist circuit between 1878 and 1924 inclusive, completing our transcription of registers 6 and 7. The dates are somewhat deceptive, as book 8, the next one we will transcribe, starts in 1908, so there is an overlap of years with book 7. Methodist preachers traveled around a circuit of villages, baptizing children at each meeting location, making notes of each baptism and later entering the baptisms into the register. The entries are not in chronological order, and several years of entries are usually mixed together.
This circuit covered the northwest border of County Durham with Northumberland, running between Muggleswick in County Durham to Wylam in the parish Ovingham, Northumberland. Residences mentioned on both sides of the border include Allendale, Allendale Cottages, Allensford, Baxton Burn, Benfieldside, Berry Edge, Blackfine, Blackhill, Blanchland, Bog Cottages, Boltshope Park, Bradley Cottages, Brazil Cottage, Broomhill, Browney Bank, Burnhill, Butsfield, Carr House, Carribees, Castleside, Consett & Consett Junction, Crookhall, Cutler’s Hall, Delves Lane, Derwent Cottages, Dormand Cottages, Eddisbridge, Eltringham & Eltringham Colliery, Halfway Houses (Prudhoe), Happy Land, Honey Hill, Hown’s Gill, Iveston, Knitsley, Knitsley Grange, Knitsley Mill, Lanchester, Leadgate, Little Black Hedley, Low Westwood, Maiden Law, Medomsley, Medomsley Edge, Meeting Slack, Mickley, Mickley Square (Ovingham), Middlewood, Mosswood, Mount Pleasant, Muggleswick, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Newton, Oakwood House, Pont View, Primrose House, Prudhoe, Puddlers Row, Ramshaw, Red House, Rowley, Shotley Bridge, Springwell, Stewardfield or Stewartfield, Sunniside, Temple Town, The Nook (Lanchester), Waskerley and Waskerley Park, West Butsfield, West Wylam, Westwood, Woodlands, and Wylam.
Although all of these locations are not in Lanchester district, we have assigned this “parish” to be in Lanchester district for search purposes, because much of it is in that district.
- 23 Jul 1878 Ralph Winship, of West Wylam, child of Richard Winship (miner) & Mary Ann Winship
- 1 Nov 1888 Charles Archer, of Eddies Bridge, Shotley Low Quarter, child of William Archer (farmer) & Mary Ellen Archer
- 5 Jun 1901 James Redshaw Charlton, of 24 Furness St., born 3-Feb 1901, child of Edward Charlton (coke drawer) & Mary Hannah Charlton
- 31 Oct 1910 Brenda Swainston, of 47 Durham Rd., Blackhill, born 5-Oct 1910, child of William Henry Swainston (fish merchant) & Dorothy Ann Swainston
- 24 Jan 1924 Charles Laverick, of 17 Station Cottages, Lanchester, born 9-Dec 1923, child of Albert Laverick (N.E.R. bill poster) & Eva Maud Laverick