Filling some gaps at Pittington St. Lawrence in Durham district, we have added, direct from the parish register:
- 2,659 baptisms covering 1852-1876 and 1887-1905
- 1,395 burials covering 1872- 1895 and 1899-1905
We now have Pittington baptisms from 1574 to the end of 1905, except for a gap of 1651-1700, and we have burials for 1593-1905 and marriages 1574-1905.
Pittington was a sprawling parish, just east of the city of Durham, with two arms reaching east to pinch around part of Easington parish. Residences mentioned besides Pittington include Arthur’s Hill (Newcastle), Bees Bank, Bells Villa (St. Giles), Belmont, Belmont Colliery, Bird in Bush, Broomside, Broomside Farm, Broomside Pit, Byers Green, Carrville, Cookshold Farm, Dragon Villa, Durham city, Easington Lane, Edmondsley, Elemore (and Elemore Colliery, Cottage, Grange, Hall, Lodge, and Vale), Fatfield House, Framwellgate Moor, Hallgarth, Hallgarth Cottages, Hallgarth Mill, Hastings House, Haswell, Hetton-le-Hole, Hetton-le-Hill, High Moorsley, High Pittington, Hill Side Farm, Leamside, Littletown, Littletown Farm, Littletown Main Engine, Londonderry Pit, Low Pittington, Ludworth, Main Engine, Middle Rainton, Murton Colliery, New Durham, New Pittington, Old Belmont, Old Newsham, Old Pittington, Pittington Vicarage, Quarrington Hill, Quarry Cottage, Railway Cottage, Shadforth, Sherburn, Sherburn Hill, Sherburn New Houses, Sherburn Station, Shincliffe, South Hetton, Spyall or Spyhall Cottage, Sunderland, The Rift, Thornley, West Rainton, and West Sherburn.
- 4 Feb 1852 Sarah Summers, of Pittington, born 18-Nov 1828, child of George (joiner) & Jane Summers
- 11 Jul 1875 Catherine Jackson Reed, of Low Pittington, child of Matthew Potts Reed (miner) & Alice
- 10 Jul 1887 Gwendoline Crosby, of Sherburn, child of John (innkeeper) & Ellen Crosby
- 25 May 1905 Frances Wakenshaw, of High Pittington, child of Charles (greengrocer) & Agnes Wakenshaw
- 12 Sep 1876 Jane Watson, of Littletown, age: 98 and 11 months
- 5 Apr 1887 Kezia Laverick, of High Pittington, age: 55
- 30 Jul 1905 Jane Bamlett, of West Sherburn, age: 85
All burials here after 1 May 1892 are in Hallgarth Cemetery, which is adjacent to the original churchyard.