7,676 burials in Garden House Cemetery, located on the border of Whickham and Swalwell in Gateshead district. It is also called Swalwell Cemetery in some records. This cemetery was consecrated in February 1916, but this first register starts in July 1916 and runs to the end of February 1969.
Because it is a cemetery register rather than a church burial register, it offers more descriptive detail about the deceased. Here are some sample burials:
- 9 Aug 1916 Benjamin Chipchase, of 77 Dunston, Dunston on Tyne, age: 70, retired colliery manager
- 23 May 1925 Martha Gillender, of 20 Ridley Gardens, Swalwell, age: 65, married woman
- 31 Mar 1931 Elizabeth Ann Hands, of 5 Holly Avenue, Dunston, age: 46, spinster
- 11 Jun 1943 Thomas Saul, of 5 Holly Avenue, Dunston, age: 20, sergeant pilot R.A.F.
- 17 Sep 1955 Lydia Dixon, of 28 Ravensworth Road, Dunston, age: 92, widow
- 10 Feb 1968 Thomas Henry Fleming, of 52 Monkridge Gardens, Dunston, age: 76, retired publican
As we have seen in other cemetery registers, the names of the parents of stillborn infants are given:
- 11 Jul 1938 [blank] Noble, of 17 Kelvin Gardens, Dunston, stillborn of Joseph & Winifred Noble
Abodes mentioned include Blaydon, Dunston, Gateshead, Gosforth, Lobley Hill, Low Fell, Marley Hill, Newcastle, Rowlands Gill, Scotswood, Sunniside, Swalwell, Wallsend, Whickham, Whitley Bay, Winlaton, and Winlaton Mill.