943 baptisms at All Saints church in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, covering the detail-rich period of 1809-1810, from a combination of the Bishop’s Transcript and the parish register. These include the child’s birth date and birth order within the family, the birth places of both parents, the father’s occupation, and the mother’s maiden surname and her father’s name and occupation. We have added “[native]” to the descriptions of the parents, as the original instruction from the Bishop of Durham was to record the parents’ nativity, but some parish clerks simply wrote “of” rather than “native of”, and that can confuse researchers into thinking the place is the current residence rather than the birth place.
Many County Durham residents repeatedly moved back and forth across the River Tyne between Gateshead and Newcastle, following the available work, so you will find many of the same families that are also found in Gateshead, Hebburn, Jarrow, Heworth, and other border communities along the Tyne.
- 1 Jan 1809 Isabella Plumpton, born 15 Jul 1808, 6th daughter of William Plumpton (weaver, [native] of Gilligate, County Durham) by his wife Elizabeth Wallis (daughter of George Wallis, labourer, [native] of Crossgate, Durham)
- 11 Mar 1810 Elizabeth Stokoe, born 4 Jan 1810, 6th daughter of Samuel Stokoe (agent, [native] of Lamesley, County Durham) by his wife Frances Morley (daughter of Christopher Morley, labourer, [native] of Chester le Street, County Durham)
- 25 Dec 1810 Thomas Turpin, born 25 Aug 1810, 1st son of Joseph Turpin (hatter, [native] of Heworth, County Durham) by his wife Ann Charlton (daughter of Thomas Charlton, quarryman, [native] of Heworth, County Durham)
Here’s a busy man catching up on his children’s baptisms:
- 11 Oct 1809 James Clark Graham, born 20 Sep 1806, illegitimate son of Thomas Graham (merchant, [native] of Carlisle, Cumberland) by Mary Kendale (widow, [native] of Carlisle, daughter of Thomas Overton, maltster)
- 11 Oct 1809 Monkhouse Graham, born 5 Jul 1808, illegitimate son of Thomas Graham (merchant, [native] of Carlisle, Cumberland) by Elizabeth Unsworth (married woman, [native] of Ormskirk, Lancashire, daughter of John Clark, brewer)
We wonder if both mothers were present, and how that went if they were!