At Herrington St. Aidan in the district of Houghton-le-Spring:
- 5,600 burials spanning 1840-1963
There had been a chapel at West Herrington as far back as 1291, but this version of the chapel, dedicated to St. Aidan, opened in 1840 as a chapelry in the parish of Houghton-le-Spring. It was later under the umbrella of the district chapelry of Newbottle, and even later became the parish of West Herrington. You can read more about this church’s history here.
Residences listed include Bishopwearmouth, Bunker Hill, East Herrington, Fence Houses, Fox Cover, Hasting Hill, Heath House, Herrington Burn, Herrington Hill, Herrington Pit, Houghton le Spring, Middle Herrington, Mill Pit, New Herrington, Newbottle, Penshaw, Philadelphia, the Royal Infirmary (Sunderland), Seaham Harbour, Shiney Row, Silksworth, South Farrington, Stoney Gate, Success, Sunderland, and West Herrington.
- 27 Sep 1841 John Fenwick, of West Herrington Engine, age: 75
- 10 Sep 1856 William Botcherby, of Mill Hill, Silksworth, age: 80
- 24 Apr 1877 Ann Hope, of New Herrington, age: 78
- 14 Oct 1914 Samuel Coffey, of 19 George Street West, New Herrington, age: 28, wounded at Rheims, died in Military Hospital at Cambridge
- 15 Nov 1933 Margaret Redpath, of 34 Success Cottages, age: 94
- 13 Jan 1947 John Riley, of High Barnes, age: 82, R.C. [Roman Catholic]
- 2 Jun 1955 George Henry Bone, of 38 Weardale Crescent, Old Penshaw, age: 71, nonconformist
We will be adding baptisms from this parish for 1840-1890 next week.