3,838 baptisms at Tweedmouth St. Bartholomew in the district of Berwick, Northumberland, spanning 1846-1885, from a combination of the parish register and the Bishop’s Transcript.
Abodes mentioned (many in adjacent parishes and some in Scotland) include Ancroft, Berwick Hill Colliery, Berwick on Tweed, Billy Law, Chirnside, Coldingham, Coldstream, Dunse, East Ord, Eyemouth, Fishwick, Greenses, Heathery Tops, Horncliffe, Lowick, Middle Ord, Newcastle, Norham, Ord Moor, Richardson’s Stead, Scremerston, Scremerston Old Hill Colliery, Shoreswood, Spittal, Spring Hill, Tweedmouth, Unthank, and West Ord.
Most of these baptisms give the child’s birth date. Here are some samples, with some birth places out of the parish or birth dates from several years back:
- 22 Feb 1846 Ann Cracket, of Murton Square, born 5 Jan 1846, daughter of John (pitman) & Ellen Cracket
- 10 Aug 1851 Sarah Ann Wale, of Spittal, born 14 Oct 1839, daughter of Thomas (blacksmith) & Ann Wale
- 21 Jun 1852 Mary O’Brien, of Tweedmouth, born 4 Mar 1846, daughter of Patrick William O’Brien (station master in the Newcastle & Berwick railroad) & Mary O’Brien, this child was born on the Island of Barbadoes in the West Indies
- 28 Jul 1867 Richard Cuthbert, of Heathery Tops, parish of Scremerston, born 21 Aug 1866, son of William (labourer) & Elizabeth Cuthbert, child born at South Shields
- 28 Jun 1874 Henry Bruce Darlington, of Stockton on Tees, born 8 May, son of Henry (photographer) & Isabella Darlington, child born at High Gate, Tweedmouth
- 24 Sep 1885 Roger Rule, of West End, Tweedmouth, born 17 Sep, son of Anne Maria Rule (single woman), private baptism