2,591 baptisms and 1,894 burials at Birtley St. John the Evangelist in Chester-le-Street district, covering 1852-1880.
Abodes mentioned frequently besides Birtley include Annabella Cottages, B Pit, Bewicke Main colliery, Birtley Fell, Birtley Lane, Black Fell, Blue Barns, Chatershaugh, Eighton Banks, Fatfield, Greenland, Harras Bank, Harraton, Harraton Outside, Lambton Park, Leybourne Hold, Look Out, Low Flatts, Mount Pleasant, New York (parish of;/ Washington), Newcastle, Nova Scotia, Ouston, Ouston Grange, Oxclose (parish of Washington), Peel’s Houses, Pelaw Grange, Perkinsville, Picktree, Portobello, Toft Hill, Urpeth, Vigo, Wash Houses colliery, and Washington.
Sample baptisms – a few have birth dates:
- 7 Jan 1852 Eleanor Burnit, of Mount Houses, daughter of Joseph (pitman) & Jane Burnit
- 29 Apr 1860 Barbara Rewcastle, of St. Bede’s Row, Birtley, daughter of Ralph (furnace man) & Alice Rewcastle
- 13 Mar 1871 John Thomas Horsley, of Toft Hill, Birtley, son of Richard (iron moulder) & Sarah Horsley, private baptism – received Apr 11th
- 5 Dec 1880 David Walls, of Marley Hill, born 23 Nov 1874, child of Joseph (miner) & Susannah Walls
- 12 Mar 1857 Agnes Watson, of Chartershaugh, age: 90
- 2 Jan 1864 Mary Hunter, of Birtley, age: 100 & 3/4
- 21 Feb 1872 John Craister, of Birtley Lane, age: 90
- 7 Feb 1879 Ann Hume, of Lea Field House, age: 94
- 11 Nov 1880 Samuel Parker, of Brown’s Buildings, age: 51, Coroner’s Certificate