1,414 marriages at Easington St. Mary the Virgin spanning 1837-1915 were updated with previously-omitted details: occupations of grooms, brides, and their fathers, abodes, and witnesses. One additional marriage was found that we missed the first time.
Abodes mentioned besides Easington include Castle Eden, Dalton-le-Dale, Easington Colliery, Hartlepool, Haswell, Hawthorn, Horden and Horden Colliery, Houghton le Spring, Murton, Old Shotton, Seaham Harbour, Shotton, Shotton Colliery, Shotton Grange, South Hetton, Sunderland, Thornley, Thorp, Thorp Moor, and Wingate
Sample marriages before the update:
- 9 Mar 1840 Robert Ovington (age 36, of South Hetton, son of George Ovington) married Mary Turnbull Armstrong (widow, age 42, of South Hetton, daughter of William Ogle)
- 4 Nov 1879 John William Delicate (full age, son of Thomas Delicate) married Hannah Petch (full age, daughter of James Petch
- 3 Feb 1915 Thomas Monk (age 60, son of John Monk) married Julia Gibb (widow [father not shown], age 57)
and the same marriages after the update:
- 9 Mar 1840 Robert Ovington (bachelor, pitman, age 36, of South Hetton, son of George Ovington, pitman) married Mary Turnbull Armstrong (widow, age 42, of South Hetton, daughter of William Ogle, soldier)
Witnesses: William Burnet; Edmund Hobson
- 4 Nov 1879 John William Delicate (bachelor, groom, full age, of St.Margaret’s, Durham, son of Thomas Delicate, gardener) married Hannah Petch (spinster, full age, of Easington, daughter of James Petch, husbandman)
Witnesses: Daniel Petch; George Nixon
- 3 Feb 1915 Thomas Monk (widower, market gardener, age 60, of Seaside Lane, Easington Colliery, son of John Monk, shoemaker) married Julia Gibb (widow [father not shown], age 57, of Seaside Lane, Easington Colliery)
Witnesses: Frederick Monk; Emily Thomson
If you have purchased a marriage at this church, we encourage you to review it to get the new information and see if any additional changes were made. Log in, click My Account, then click the My Orders tab to see your purchases and sort by the Modified column to put changed records at the top. If a change (other than a minor spelling change) was made to a record you purchased, an email has already been sent to you with the correction.
This is part of our mission to update our Easington-district marriages that are missing information.